Invisalign Clear Braces in Florham Park, New Jersey
We may not want to admit it, but first impressions really do matter. One of the first things people notice about you is your smile. When you can express yourself with a big, confident smile, you feel better about yourself and that is evident to others. Many adults would like to straighten their teeth but may not want to commit to metal braces. Some patients don’t want to deal with the inconvenience of complicated oral hygiene routines, others simply don’t want to draw attention to the fact they are straightening their teeth. Whatever the reason, there are fortunately modern solutions that offer teeth-straightening orthodontic treatments without the drawbacks we used to associate with braces.
Traditional orthodontia is a modern marvel for those of us who weren’t blessed with straight, even teeth. Straightening misaligned teeth is not only good for your self-esteem, it’s good for your oral health. Misaligned teeth can make it hard to reach certain tooth surfaces when brushing and flossing, leading to decay. Misaligned teeth can also cause problems with pronunciation and chewing. And the fact is, for some patients, metal braces are still the best way to straighten the teeth. A consultation with a dentist who is trained in Invisalign technology is required to determine if you qualify. If you are looking for a Florham Park Invisalign dentist, Dr. Mark Gleckner is your best choice!
How Does It Work?
Clear orthodontia uses a series of custom-made plastic aligners that apply gentle pressure to the teeth and oral structures to create the movement required to straighten the teeth. The process is as follows:
- Consultation: The first step to your new smile is a consultation at Smiles by Dr. Mark. This will determine whether or not aligner technology is the right treatment for your case.
- Creation of Treatment Plan: If you’re a good candidate, photographs, X-rays and molds will be made of your teeth and oral structures, to be used in the development of your treatment plan and the fabrication of your aligners. When your aligners are ready, we’ll instruct you in their use.
- Treatment: Your aligners are designed in a sequence that will move your teeth into the correct position. You will be instructed to wear each aligner for 22 hours per day, taking them out only for meals and for brushing and flossing. Each aligner is to be worn for two weeks, then replaced with the next one in the series. Depending on your condition, you will visit the office periodically so we can monitor your progress. It’s that simple!
What are the Benefits of Aligners?
We think Invisalign offers patients with qualifying conditions a great option for teeth straightening. Here are some of the reasons:
- Invisibility: Being able to straighten the teeth invisibly is a big advantage. Some patients may be embarrassed at not having it done at a younger age, or may feel that metal braces would project an unprofessional image.
- Convenience: The problem with metal orthodontia is that it is always there. You just have to work around it. There are lists of foods that you can’t enjoy while you are wearing braces. They also get in the way of hygiene. Patients have to be very careful when cleaning the teeth. All of this is eliminated with removable aligners. They can be taken out for meals, brushing and flossing, dental cleanings and checkups.
- Saves Time: When it’s time to move to the next phase of your treatment, you simply store the aligner you just used and move to the next one. There is no need for frequent, lengthy adjustments in the orthodontist’s chair.
- Less Painful: Instead of metal wires and brackets in your mouth, smooth plastic is fitted snugly over your teeth. This results in less chance of irritation of the soft oral tissues.
Some other important things to note:
- Because success with Invisalign technology relies heavily on proper use, patients themselves must be responsible enough to use it as prescribed. If the aligners are not used the right way, treatment may be prolonged.
- Don’t throw away used aligners. In some circumstances it may be necessary to use an old aligner again. Store it in the storage case.
- Always use the aligner case to store your aligner while eating. Avoid wrapping it in a napkin that may be accidentally thrown in the trash.
- Certain products can stain your aligners. If you have questions about what you should avoid, ask Dr. Mark.
Call us at (973) 377-1174 today to inquire about Invisalign in Florham Park, NJ. We look forward to seeing you flash a beautiful, straight smile.